ONLY STEPS FORWARD - Now that Ken is alert I don't have as much time to sit with the computer. I am thrilled to be standing by his bed trying to figure out what he needs, helping him exercise his hands and feet and helping him to understand what has happened since Friday, February 22. It has all been more than a little overwhelming for him.
It was great having Cher here over the weekend. I actually had someone to walk the streets of Baltimore with and help carry groceries back to the apartment. I needed that outlet of talking, laughing, crying and she made sure I ate. She even provided Ken with some material that had him rolling his eyes.
There is still a problem with Ken's lungs but there has been great progress. Monday, the doctors put in a trech. It was so good not to see any white tape holding that ventilator in place. Ken is so glad to have it out, but we are still having trouble communicating. I am not the best lip reader and it is causing some frustration for both of us. After waiting all day, Ken was taken earlier this evening to replace two lines. One is for running all of the IVs through and the other is for the continuous dialysis. The dialysis line is being moved so he will be able to sit up. Tomorrow, the P.T.s are planning to get him out of bed and into a chair. YEAHHHH!!! As you can imagine, he is starting to feel the effects of lying flat on his back for nineteen days.
Sunday, when Cher and I returned from running an errand, Ken was having a panic attack. He is still so easily overwhelmed with all that's going on around him. He just lies there so quiet and I can see the many questions running through his mind. Monday afternoon Ken just looked a little lost. He didn't know these doctors and nurses and other medical staff who kept coming around telling him he sure looked better than the last time they worked with him. I felt like he needed someone he was familiar with so I called his nurse practitioner back in Nashville and let her talk to him. She talked to him as I held the phone up to his ear and he just kept nodding his head.
Ken was trying to tell me something, "H O M E" -- "you want to go home?" -- he nodded -- "we will soon". I then asked him if he wanted me to turn some music back on -- he nodded --
"C A R" -- "You want to listen to music in the car" -- he nodded -- "Okay, just as soon as we can!"
The Tin Man has his heart we just need to find those Ruby Red Shoes -----"THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME ----"THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME"-----"THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Tell Ken we want him home too!
Oh how exciting! Tell Ken he can give us the next update when he's ready! Getting to sit up! Making such great strides! WOW! We are overwhelmed also! Thank you so much for sharing this miracle with us so that we too can be reminded of the healing power of GOD and his great gifts towards us. Praying for you both! Take care. Love, Amy - Call Center and Records CFCU
WOW! What outstanding news. Sitting up has to be major for both of you. Can Kenneth write? maybe a dry erase board would benefit him. I am always amazed when I see God's handiwork. Always in his time and for his perfect reasoning. Keep the faith, the spirit and keep exercising those hands so we we can get at the 42 game soon. love to you both James/BJ
My precious friend,
Again, I'm just overwhelmed by God's goodness. The news about getting Ken "out of that bed" just thrills my soul. While I know it has been a long road - it's wonderful to see that the steps are going forward!!!
Now, where does one go to find men's ruby slippers???? I'll have to research that. Do you think Cathy might find them on EBAY??? Love to you both!!!
Cheryl
Post a Comment