Could someone tell me why weekends in Baltimore, MD are longer than in Franklin, TN? Is it that time zone difference or what? It sure would be nice to have a Saturday and Sunday this long when you're trying to get the weekend chores finished before Monday morning.
It was nice to have David, Ken's brother, here for a few days. I must have forgotten since the last time I was around him, orneriness runs through him as well. We had a good visit and he made sure I ate - thanks.
It was a weekend of progress for Ken - a little bit of a roller coaster at times - but there was progress none the less. His "new" heart has been able to hold the blood pressure up on its own a majority of the time - that is HUGE! The percentage of oxygen running through both the by-pass machine and the ventilator have been lowered - that is HUGE! The doctors and nurses were able to remove some of the lines in his neck and groin - "taking out" is definitely going in
the right direction. The heart has still been in "A-fib" at times and the hiccups continue to torture him off and on. The nurses can't believe he has the hiccups - they have not seen that before with someone who is incubated. As long as he is sedated they are not an issue; however, the nurses are trying to find more of what his neurological status is so they have to bring him to some of the time. His kidneys are still producing urine (a lot of it) - and that is HUGE!
Tomorrow, Ken will once again be taken to the O.R. and I pray I will be able to report that he has been taken off, at least, one of the machines. As I mentioned in a previous entry, this part of the journey never crossed our minds. We had pictured Ken running up and down the halls, harassing the doctors and nurses, and being well on our way to healing and the process of getting back to our home in Tennessee. As I've always heard, "Life is what happens when you're busy making plans".
Several years ago there was a young preacher, Ridley Barron, whose wife and and baby were killed in a car wreck only blocks away from their home when coming back from an out of town trip. He was interviewed by the paper and I have re-read a part of what he had to say so many times. "I don't want to miss what God has to show me. I don't want to get so wrapped up in feeling sorry for myself that I miss what God really wants to show me that's greater than that one event in my life. God didn't make this happen. We live in a world that's got bad in it. Bad things happen. Could God have stopped it? Yes. We have to remember that God looks at the world with the big picture in mind. God sees more than the 70-plus years I may be given on this earth or the 33-plus years Sarah was given. What God is more interested in is two things: No 1 - His Glory and No 2 - my character."
I know God has touched Ken's body and I can't wait until Ken is aware of that as well - To God Be The Glory, Great Things He Has Done.
Sunday, March 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Thinking about you and Ken and praying for you. Hang in there Roberta. Many people are praying for you and car about you.
Mark Marshall
Reid Hill Commons is counting the days that you and Ken are both back in Franklin with your neighbors.
Thinking about you daily (I'm ready to start those early morning walks).
Take care,
Brenda and Tom
It is so good to be able to read your daily letters to all of us so we can see how everything is going, we continue to pray and hope progress will also be good day by day, and please count me in on those daily walks when I am in TN. Love to you and Ken.
As always Carmen and Gerhard
Roberta,
Just wanted you to know that I send your updates out to my girls, my sisters, Mom and Aunt Ruthie's family. We are all praying for you and Kenneth. Love you bunches. Margaret
Just wanted to say hi and want you to know that you and Ken and family are in my thoughts and prayers throughout the day. Your updates are a blessing for those of us who are praying for you. Pray you and Ken are blessed this day with more good news.
Love ya, Sharon's cousin Vera
Dear Bert,
It was so good to hear your voice yesterday morning. I'm not sure why that's so comforting to me - but it is!
After our conversation about Sunday School - I went to Wal-Mart and got a small recorder. Now we can get you Sue's words of wisdom. I was so proud that we got it set up. But pride goeth before the fall. I didn't notice that it was a 30 minute tape - so we missed the application of the lesson. Sue did such a wonderful job and I know her words would have spoken to you. So, I'll ask her to send you her notes. I'm putting the small recorder with the tape in the mail today. (listen to side A) It will be sent to the apartment. Next week I'll send a 90 minute tape (that should be plenty of time for the lesson) I know Ken is probably back in the OR right now. You are both in my prayers - God is at work!!!!
Much love!
cheryl
Dear Bert,
Shirley Cohan and Anita Pringle send prays and deep concern your way. We are in Georgia but have been keeping track of all that has happened on this Blog...Thank you.
What an inspiration you have been as you have walked through the past days. Remember God is good all the time.
Blessings,
Shirley
LOVE AND PRAYERS TO YOU GUYS!!
We were in Sherman this weekend and James family was anxious with me for your updates. I read them daily. The weekends are longer because you don't have all those errands, chores to do. Keep eating, resting, and exercising so you will be 100% when Kenneth is ready get going. Love to you both,
Barbara J.
Post a Comment