Tuesday - March 4, 2008. The day to pay bills if you have not yet done so - for our household anyway - BOTH OF THEM. It's always helpful too if you remember the password for on-line banking. I don't know why the world doesn't stand still when it seems your world has. The doctors and nurses tell me more than likely Ken won't remember these last twelve days - for him I guess it is standing still.
Today they continued to run blood test and work with the ventilator. They viewed the heart functions and started dialysis. I stood there today by Ken's bed and again marveled at what can be done to the human body. My technical terminology is lacking as you have noticed before - the "fluid removing machine" - but I'm just guessing that unless you're in the medical field or have been in a situation where you have seen it in action you would still not know what I am talking about. Even "Googling" would be difficult because I have not a clue how you would spell them. Beside, I think the doctors and nurses have their own names for them. This particular machine has blood passing through it and as it does there is clear liquid that falls into a bag. Red blood going in and red blood coming out but clear liquid falling down into the bag - I am amazed. The heart and lung by-pass machine was fascinating to watch and learn how it sustained life in Ken's body for that time. And now there is a dialysis machine hooked up - just to even see how it is set up with tubes running in and out and encircling parts of the machine is mind boggling for me. Here again is a machine that Ken's blood runs through. It removes excess fluid from his body along with toxins. Ken's kidneys are producing lots of urine, it is just not quality urine at this time. Running the dialysis will just give some needed assistance. (Ken will be so excited I am telling you all about his "pee-pee")
I had to laugh the other day when the nurse was opening a kit for setting up the "fluid removing machine" and said to her, "So I take it some assembly is required" - she laughed and let out a big yes. Call an ICU nurse on Christmas Eve if you are having problems with a gift that needs 'some assembly' - THEY ARE GREAT!!!
Our Sunday school class was discussing one Sunday after we came to Baltimore how some of them had re-thought organ donation and were going to change the information on their drivers license and tell family members of that decision. Sometimes that's what happens when you know someone who is going through a life changing situation; your perspective changes. What once we might not have given a second thought to, we now look at with a different understanding. I definitely look at blood and it's life giving force differently. All of the machines I mentioned are taking out the blood - treating it for what is needed - and then giving it back to the body. Ken has had to have so many units of blood and blood products (platelets, plasma) that I have totally lost count. That blood was needed to save his life as well. SOMEONE GAVE THAT GIFT OF LIFE. I am not able to give blood because of past hepatitis - I wish I could - if you can, please do. Someone may not need an organ transplant but they do need blood - it could save their live.
Our bodies did not come out of some big bang happening or evolution. "Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being." Genesis 2:7 The body is so complex and wonderfully made - look at yours with different understanding today and don't take how it works for granted.
Thank you God for the gift of life!
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Burt and Ken we think of you everyday as we look up towards your house. We hope everything is still looking up for you both and you are in our prayers. Take care Chris and William
You continue to amaze me with your descriptions of what's happening to Ken and your insights. So often I think about how my body doesnt' (or can't) do what it used to. In actuality it is a wonderful creation. Thanks for reminding me to be grateful!
Love to you both!
cheryl
Post a Comment