Wednesday, March 12, 2008

SET BACK??? -- MAYBE NOT!!!

I am so glad I got the last blog entry out before receiving the call that came just minutes after posting. Dr. M (the surgeon) was on his way to the hospital and they were getting Ken ready to take to the O.R. There was more blood coming out of the chest tubes than had been previous to the new lines, and they were giving him blood and blood products. In the O.R. they had to open up his chest and find the area of bleeding. They did, repaired the hole and then closed him back up.

I could not believe what I was hearing when they called! Here it is around midnight, I am in my pajamas, exhausted and ready to go to bed. My first reaction was I'll get dressed and be right there. Then I stopped - I could not get there before they took him to surgery and I could not face sitting in a waiting room again, especially a silent one. I feel safe where our apartment is and safe on the streets when it is light outside or at least when the streets are busier in the early evenings; however, at that hour I just could not go back out. When I called the nurse and told her I was not coming back up she said they would let me know just as soon as they knew anything. She said Ken was alert and aware of what was going on and that he was very calm. Around 3:10 am, Dr. M called and informed me of what they were able to do.

I got very little sleep - a doze here and there. My sinuses have been bothering me the last few days but this morning my throat is sore and my chest feels heavy and I am exhausted. I cannot take the chance of it being more than sinuses and carrying it into Ken. Upon the advice of several friends and my own common sense I am staying in today and trying to get some rest and drinking lots of water and hot green tea.

One of the friends I talked with works at the hospital -- she went over to Ken's room to check on him for me, and to tell him where I was. She said he looked great considering what he had just gone through and that he was alert and able to communicate very well with his nurse. He wanted to sit up some in the bed so she and his nurse got him situated and he was about to receive some more blood and something for pain.

Last night as I finished that entry I was thinking that today's entry would be about Gratitude. I had been told by some co-workers to expect a package yesterday at the apartment. I GOT IT! When I opened it up I was filled once again with such emotion by the generosity and love of friends so many miles away. Just within the last few days I had received a card that our Sunday School class had once again given from their hearts and helped out our checking account. Now, I see it from co-workers. I am so thankful for the financial help that was in that box - and the cards with their personal words of encouragement to us - but inside were some very creative heart pockets which held scripture verses of God's encouragement and God's promises. Those scriptures were right there in front of me when that call came last night. Matthew 11:28 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Psalm 62:5 "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him." I read those while I was waiting. I did not suddenly close my eyes and go to sleep nor was I free of worry; however, this morning as I reflect on last night, the events since January and even before.... I am reminded of God's faithfulness and how God's words are TRUE and ALIVE .

Thank you all who continue to faithfully lift us up in prayer and give us encouragement to stay the course.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bertie,
I'm so glad you are resting at home . Often i wonder about my purpose in life....this morning there was no doubt my purpose today was to answer the phone and be here for my friend. I'm so glad you called.I am grateful FOR YOU my dear friend.
Love and hugs to you and Ken,
Cher

Anonymous said...

Hi Roberta,

I think of you and Ken everyday. John wants me to keep him posted on Ken's progress also. John is doing much better but is still very weak. He is having some unpleasant side effects from some of the medication but nothing terrible. When I reflect on the last 5 weeks, I realize how God has helped me be stronger than I thought possible. It is so hard to not be with your husband for everything but sometimes we need to take care of ourselves so we can continue to take care of them. I can't even imagine how exhausted you must be in so many ways. Please allow your body and soul to have some quiet time. Sometimes, I know God is trying to tell me something if I would just stop and listen. "Be still and know that I am". Sometimes being still is the hardest thing to do when your are a caregiver. I not only think of you and Ken daily but pray for you also. God bless and keep you both.
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Hi Bert,
you need to take care of yourself, Ken will need you in the week's ahead stay strong and keep the faith as you have, God is always listening and all our prayers will let him know how important it is to have Ken in our lives and YOUR"S. Love to both of you,
Carmen and Gerhard

Anonymous said...

Hello my friend,
I'm glad I called this morning. I hope you went to the clinic and got some medicine for you. I know being away from Ken is difficult but you are wise to be cautious.
Love to you both.