Friday, March 7, 2008

OPEN...OPEN....OPEN YOUR EYES

If you have ever seen the movie Steel Magnolias perhaps you recall that scene where Sally Field, the mother, is trying to get Julia Roberts, the daughter to wake up from a coma. She never does. As you all know I have wanted to see Ken's eyes and some kind of response - I did!!!! -Thursday. The nurse turned off the sedation and the hiccups did not return -PRAISE GOD - so she left if off longer and longer and then there they were - those brown eyes. There was no excitement in them though, only a look of confusion and worry. I tried to reassure him he was OK but he just stared at me. I knew he was not thrilled at all to still be on the ventilator, he kept trying to push the tube out with his tongue. He tried to answer questions by blinking his eyes but sometimes I could not determine his answer since he was still somewhat drowsy. He could not move his limbs which was also a source of frustration. I am not sure what was going through his mind when a lot of the medical staff came running to his room when word spread he was awake. One of the P.T.'s he had worked with before the surgery knew what the "real" Ken was like and she was devastated by what had happened. She was suppose to pick Ken up on Sunday to take him to church with her - he had told me about this on Thursday after he had gone to rehab - he was so excited. She came to workout Ken's joints yesterday morning before he came to and she kept telling the nurse what a character he was and how they had just talked and talked or maybe it was he had talked and talked - oh, and that Thursday was the only time she had worked with him. When word went down the hall he was awake she came running into the room so excited. Every time I looked up there was someone else looking in and smiling or giving me a thumbs up - guess you could say there was a party on 6-W again.

I stayed late last night and when I left he still looked lost. He had some problems with his oxygen again last night when they were cleaning him up. They had to go up on his oxygen level and put him back on the meds for his blood pressure to keep it up. He only slept a couple of hours the nurse said.

Today he is more coherent than yesterday and he has been able to answer questions better with his eyes and has even tried to nod his head a little. He's hands are still swollen but he has been able to move them some. I have explained some of what has gone on and keep telling him he is getting better - all of the steps are moving forward. Some doctors are in his room right now looking at the heart to see if there is a problem with blood flowing between the sections before being oxygenated in the lungs. One of the doctors also talked to me about the possibility of them putting in a trech on Monday. It will be easier to get him off the oxygen plus will add a level of comfort to him. We will see what the findings are from this procedure they are doing now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peek-a-boo, I almost see you! It's so close you can feel it - almost reach out and touch it - not quite-just a bit more of GOD'S time to go but it is beginning...We are rejoicing along with you! Hang in there Bert! Keep us posted! Amy :)
Records/ Call Center CFCU

Anonymous said...

Hi Roberta,

How wonderful that Ken opened his eyes! That is such a great moment. I remember when John opened his eyes for the first time in a week, I felt such a sense of relief. I remember too that he had such a look of confusion and fear and that was hard for me to see. The good news is that he doesn't really remember much of that and I consider that a blessing. I am so glad that Ken is continuing to move in a positive direction. I continue to keep you in my prayers and I know God is always listening.

Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Hi Bert. We are so thankful that Ken is improving. That is thanks to The Lord that prayers are answered. We wish for you strength and hope you get some needed rest. We are expeting big snow tonight. Take care. William and Chris

Anonymous said...

Hello my friend,
I'm just getting to my computer this afternoon - but Wilma read your message to me as I traveled home from Knoxville. We were both in tears just thinking about the progess that is being made. I know the road seems long - but we're with you every step. More importantly, God is with you!!!
With lots of love!!!
cheryl

JackofHearts said...

We are rejoicing here in Chapel Hill, what wonderful news! Mo is doing a dance!(as he is snoozing on Jacks bed, sorry) So so glad to hear about Ken opening his eyes, I am sure it made a world of difference for you to see his eyes and be able to communicate with him. Thank you so much for keeping us posted. Bert-just a word of encouragement, your words on this blog are such a testimony of your faith and your love for God. We love you guys.

Todd, Christina, Jack and Simon

Anonymous said...

Hi Bert,
This blog thing is soo cool. I come in from school and check the blog, as soon as I have washed all the kid grime off. I am so glad to read that Kenneth opened his eyes. I cannot imagine how wonderful that must have been. I am still praying for you to be strong and for Kenneth to continue to improve each day. I just wish I could be with you through all this. I am so far away, especially since you are in yankee territory, now. Hee! Hee! At least it is still home and not Russia.
lin and Bobby
in Texas.

Anonymous said...

Larry and I are at Wilma & Jim's for dinner. We were hoping to find some new news on the blog. I hope you've both had a good day.
Thought you'd like to know we had a spring snow last night. Everything looked so pretty this morning. We took Andy out for a walk in it - he loves the snow!!! Of course, it was gone by the afternoon. Don't forget to "spring forward" tonight. Probably the last thing you need is to lose an hour of sleep. Kiss the Tin Man for me.
We love you tons.
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Bert I finally got to read the last two blog's, I am so happy for you that he is awake, and we are continuing the prayer's for you, I do think of both of you each day, keep the faith and all will be well, Love to both of you, Carmen and Gerhard