My life lesson on this subject began in earnest, January of 1997. That is when Ken had his massive heart attack. I learned during that time it did not matter if it was dark or light; silent or noisy; when you are waiting for news on a loved one your mind can run rampant with different scenario's of what is going on behind those doors you cannot enter. I felt so cold, alone, scared and in need of a blanket. The best is one that comes from home - it is something warm and familiar. I also learned during that time that it doesn't matter how much you take to keep your mind occupied it usually stays in the bag or untouched in your lap.
You find yourself making phone calls to update loved ones on the status after your last ICU visit, or if you have received news from the O.R., or what the surgeon had to say when he came out to see you. The faces you look into are also concerned about someone they love and the situation they face.
Here in Baltimore you will find the same scene, only the surroundings are different (the nicest I have ever been in). It was Wednesday morning, February 27th when I was waiting to see if Ken was going to come off of the by-pass machine and I had taken my position in the waiting area. Around where I was sitting there were two other women and one gentleman, each waiting for word on their spouse. The lady sitting across from me had picked up a magazine, tried to thumb through it and put it back down saying, "It's hard to concentrate". How well I know. I nodded and said yes it is. The lady beside me was visibly anxious about her husband and we were talking with her.
At some point the lady (Kathleen) who had tried to look at the magazine and myself became more involved in a conversation. She was waiting on her husband (John) who was having open heart surgery after he had suffered two heart attacks following a kidney transplant. She had given him one of her kidneys just a couple of weeks earlier and was still recovering herself. She had two young children at home and they lived about an hour and a half away. WOW!! Her plate was definitely full.
While Kathleen was still in the hospital recovering from her surgery, John suffered the heart attacks and was unconscious. Can you imagine being in a hospital room recovering and trying to find out about your husband who is another area of the hospital? I soon learned that Kathleen was a strong, determined woman who would do what she needed to for her family. John was finally having the surgery that day after it had been canceled on Friday. The surgeon scheduled to do his surgery was in the O.R. with a heart transplant patient who was not doing well. You are correct, our Dr. M was that surgeon, and Ken was the patient.
We had both been waiting that Friday on news of Ken. She was waiting for the surgeon to finish that case, so her husband, whom she loved and was concerned about, could have his by-pass. I was waiting for the same surgeon to come tell me my husband, whom I loved and was concerned about, was OK. The surgery did not happen for John that day. Kathleen, even in her frustration of the delays that day, was thankful someone who needed a heart was receiving it. For her, it was good to know the story of the person who had replaced John's time in surgery.
I gave her a piece of paper that day with my name, phone number and the blog address, and told her she would be able to find out how Ken's journey was going. I was able to meet John several days later in his room - doing well. I talked to Kathleen on the phone and she stopped by Ken's room the day she took John home. I was thrilled she was able to reunite her family. Kathleen continues to pray for Ken's recovery and keeps up with his progress here on the blog. I called her one day after they returned home to see how everything was going. Everyone was recovering. Her sister was leaving for a Christian conference in India soon and told Kathleen she would be praying for Ken while there.
God's people are praying around the world for Ken. That is AWESOME!!
OUR GOD IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Friday, March 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hi Roberta,
How nice to read about our meeting. You and Ken have touched my life in such a powerful way. It is amazing to me how God puts people in our lives that he wants us to meet. U of MD is a BIG hospital and there we were sitting across from each other. Thank you for the nice compliment about my strength but I have to admit to you that there are days when I feel weak. Yesterday, I cried most of the way to my son's preschool. However, on the return I spent most of it praying and asking God to give me more strength. Nothing terrible was happening, just a cumulation of things and I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. As always when I stopped talking and listened, God pointed out some things to me and I discontinued my pity party! The day was better and I remembered that I am never facing anything on my own. Speaking of strong women, I don't think I have ever met anyone who has shown such grace in such a tough situation. You are a SHINING example of living in faith. God is with you always, it is so obvious! How lucky we are to know "the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding". Philippians 4:6-7 (One of my favorites.)
Hey hon!
Sorry I didn't get to talk to you on Friday night. Somebody "hogged" the phone. HA! Our SS party was fun - but we missed you guys. I know Ken would have loved the TX brisket.
I guess by now you've figured out that I forgot to mail last week's tape. I'll send it with today's lesson. Have a blessed Sunday!
Love you tons!
c
Bert - you are so strong and your faith has been such a wonderful and uplifting example for us. Glad that Ken is doing so much better - sorry the days are so long - but you are proof that you may be the only Bible someone meets...your talks with others and on your blog are so inspiring! I hope this week you have the time to reflect on the Easter message and the great gifts God has given to us all. Thinking of you and praying for you daily. Amy - Call Center & Records CFCU
Post a Comment