Friday, March 28, 2008

ONE STEP FORWARD/TWO STEPS BACK: THE WHOLE STORY

I am so thankful Hannah is here. It is just nice having her to visit with and she has been a great help. She went to the hospital one morning and let me sleep late. WOW!! The offer was there for other mornings as well, I just have a hard time not going. Hannah went to the grocery store while I stayed with Ken one day. I was so thankful, I had needed to go but the one I really like is a pretty good walk for me, but her legs are used to walking everywhere in Portland. I just wish her dad was doing better and more like himself. It has been especially hard for her - she is the BIGGEST DADDY'S GIRL EVER!!!!!!

Hannah has always been our very strong willed and opinionated child. At times that has been a source of frustration for me. This week at times I have been a source of frustration for her. She says I only give the good side of the picture here and that people do not know what specific things to pray about when I do that. I have not totally processed everything yet - to be honest it has been a very hard week.

Ken has been so lethargic this week. Some of the medications he is getting causes drowsiness, but this has been beyond that. He had been extremely nauseated and what they had been giving him for that was a little sedating. The nurse suctioned out his stomach and that has taken care of the nausea problem. Being lethargic has not changed. He has been back on the ventilator since late Monday night giving him a break and hoping he might be able to perk up a little bit but he has required more oxygen than he had been. Communicating is hard again - lip reading. Talk about frustrating! I asked the nurses to give him the pain medication that was not sedating as much as possible, but nothing has changed. His body is still full of fluid, some good progress has been made, but nowhere near enough. He is improving with bending his fingers and being able to move them more on his own but he still cannot lift his hands on his own. I continue to exercise his feet and legs as well as his hands and arms daily and then PT comes in and does more intense exercises. Ken is not yet strong enough for them to sit him up on the edge of the bed or do a standing test. The intent is to put him in the chair daily, but there have been a few days that was not the best thing to do.

My concern for a while has been Ken's will. I remind him all the time that he has to mentally stay in this game and fight. Everyone who walks in the room continues to tell him what progress he is making, but he does not see that. He seems to see no progress or going backwards, and I can understand that. I have put things up in the room to try and brighten it up. There are family pictures up there and the nurses continue to ask questions about his family and they can see Ken not in bed with tubes all over. When Cher was here she wrote some goals up on the white board: Go Home - Go Fishing - Go to Hawaii with Chip and Cher and above that is the picture of the very first time Ken held Jack. One of the aids writes him notes and she is always talking to him about the goals. I have shown him some pictures of Jack on the computer but he does not want to look at them. If you ask Ken something about Jack or say something about taking Jack fishing he turns his head away.

As always this is written at different sessions as time allows. The probable cause of the lethargic issue has now been found. Ken has a blood infection. It has happened since his last culture done on the twenty-first. The medical staff continues to tell me this is very common in this kind of situation. With him being on the immune suppressants he does not run a fever but it shows up in other functions of his body. Unfortunately, they had to remove all lines that had direct access to his blood and put in new ones. The lines they took out were the long term lines that when put in caused the situation of having to open his chest up to repair the source of bleeding. There is a chance those lines will have to be replaced in the chest area some time next week and I may have a very hard time signing the consent form. I'll have to cross that bridge later.

Hannah and I are sitting in the surgical waiting area. Without getting to technical, especially since I do not know the technical terminology, as you all well know, the surgeons are finding and dealing with the source of a long term problem. It has to do with keeping the proteins he receives from his nourishment inside the blood. There is a vicious circle going on with the fluid, the proteins, the nourishment he is receiving and the effort to remove that fluid. Once again that word BALANCE comes into the picture. It was thought that perhaps the problem had healed on its own, but that is not the case.

If all of that is not enough, there is another problem with Ken's intestines. When his stomach was suctioned and they got so much out, it led them to have a cat scan run. That revealed there is an area not allowing everything going in the tube to get through. The tube was placed not in his stomach but just past it. The fact so much was in his stomach showed just how much had backed up and not been absorbed into his body. They have stopped the feedings and they are giving his medications differently in an effort to let the intestines have a break and hopefully correct itself.

As I said earlier, this has been a very rough week. I spoke with one of the transplant nurses yesterday and she said the "BIG THREE" were working. HEART, LUNGS and BRAIN. If those three are working everything else is fixable and we are in the fixing stage because the BIG THREE are working great!!! It is just so very discouraging at times when you think about having to go through another "FIX IT" situation.

Hannah said I made everything seem too positive, maybe so. "So many times we get to the end of the waiting period and we do not know God any better than we did before." That was one of the last statements our pastor said in a sermon on WAITING. A friend of ours was discussing Ken's situation with a long time christian friend and was questioning why would God let this all happen after we had gotten to this point. She was told that there were no answers but all she had to know was that God loves Ken and God loves Bert. I don't want to get to the end of this waiting period and not know God any better than when I started this journey. If I believe God loves us then I have to believe He has our best interest at heart. I don't know what that is, but I pray I will continue to trust Him all the way through it.

Hannah wanted me to be more specific as to what the prayer needs are. At this time I would say: 1) The results of this surgery are positive, and that the healing from it will be quick and not slow down progress of getting stronger and out of bed. 2) There will not be a need to replace the lines in the chest. 3) The blood infection will continue to respond to the antibiotics and all of the other areas this has effected will be cleared up. 4) The kidneys will begin to show signs of functioning. 5) That wisdom will come regarding my concerns for the "real world".

As always THANK YOU for continuing to pray. For continuing to lift my spirits through love offerings, cards, packages, e-mails and visits from friends and family.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken and Bert - we're praying for you! We admire your strength and stick-to-it-ness and miss you both very much. Thanks for giving us specific items to pray for.

Hannah - glad you got time to spend with your folks.

Jay and Joanna

Our Family said...

Thanks for letting us know the specific things we can pray for. Know that you are in our prayers and will continue to be.

Matt and Nicole

PS-Hi Hannah!

Anonymous said...

My dearest Bert,
Thanks for letting us know the specifics. We'll be sure that this information gets to the SS class prayer list. I'm so glad you've had Hannah with you this week. I'm sure she has helped to carry the load. Larry and I were talking about how he could talk to Ken. Can you use your cell phone in his room? or is there a way for us to call him? I know that Ken can't talk back - but maybe it would help to hear his buddy's voice.
I put your birthday card in the mail - but I'm sure it won't get there til Monday. I hope you find some joy on your special day!
Love to all!!!!
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Ken and Bert -

You all are in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing the good news as well as the not-so-good news.

I'm sure you know this already, but it's just not the same in Sunday School without you guys. I am very much looking forward to your return'

Happy Birthday Bert!

Rebekah

Anonymous said...

Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

Deut 33:27a
The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.

God's hope in His word!
Love you and Ken,
Janet

Anonymous said...

Bert and Ken. Hope this finds you doing much better. We are leaving for FLA. in the morning will be back about 4 weeks. Our prayers will be with you both. Love William & Chris

Anonymous said...

Roberta,
We are praying for you and Kenneth. I know it must bo so difficult to continuously watch and wait. My prayer is that God will be your refuge and strength and your Strong Tower during this time and that Kenneth will hang in there mentally.Please know that your family is sending up continual prayers on your behalf! We love you!
Hugh Jack and Sharon

Anonymous said...

Bert - The main 3 are still working - Heart Lungs Kidneys and Father Son and Holy Ghost - You will make it through this next step as you have the rest! We are praying for you both and will continue to monitor your progresses. Take care of yourself so you can continue to be such a great support to Ken. Much love to you both. Amy - Call Center & Records CFCU

Anonymous said...

Dearest Bert....So glad to hear of Ken's progress!!....He is so-o-o-o
blessed to have you for his wife &
life's partner!! I know that you
have & will continue to give him your very best...and, nothing less!!I was on "vacation" last week & of course, Daniel was sick &
I kept him for 2 1/2 days!!.....Oh!
poor me!!!NOT!!!....I know you miss
Jack desperately!! I'll bet he's
changed a lot! You & Ken were on my
mind during our Easter services...my very FAVORITE hymn is
"Because He lives"....and, so BECAUSE HE lives...there will be tomorrows...what a magnificient
sacrifice He made!!! Please tell
Ken (my sparring partner) to get better soon...I'd feel bad givng
back all of those "quick barbs"....
NOT!!!..Ha!....We all love you &
Ken so much & anxiously await your
returns!!!So glad your "baby girl"
was there with you last week...
you needed the little break. Hope you had a great birthday on Sunday!
Our oldest also had his birthday on Sunday...he was 35!!!!!!...and,
sick!! Take care & give Ken a quick
"peck" for us!!....Love, M.Stinson

Anonymous said...

Dear Bert & Ken,
It was good to talk to you on Sat., glad Hannah got to be with you and Ken.
Neighbors stop me everyday and ask what's the lastest (the ones that don't have computers and ones that you may not even know but are aware of what's going on with Ken), news and they tell me that they are keeping you both in their prayers.
Barry ask about Ken and siad he needed to get back here to see all the progress and to keep an eye on Tom.
Let me know if there is anything that I can do for you around here.
Hang it there.
Love Brenda & Tom