Saturday, April 26, 2008

HOW MANY TICKETS FOR THE FERRIS-WHEEL

I had several people ask if everything was okay - it's been several days since I updated and they were worried. I know you must get tired of reading "I can't believe it is.....(date)", but here it goes again; April 26th - YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!! We have now past the two month mark since the transplant. Ken has made a lot of progress, but "our tour in Baltimore" still has some time left. When I stop and think about Ken's progress; he has not had his feet on the floor, sat up on the edge of the bed, lifted his arms or legs on his own, been able to eat, drink or write, and he has not been able to talk without the use of a speaking valve. However; the fact that he is lying in his bed awake, able to communicate and still has a sense of humor is a MIRACLE.

I got tickled yesterday when one of the transplant nurses said we were off the roller coaster and had now moved onto the merry-go-round. I told her I was ready for the SLIDE - right back to Franklin.

It has been a good week in spite of its ups and downs. Ken's blood pressure continues to be an issue at times, but thankfully at this moment he is off all IVs to keep it up. The nurses have been able to remove fluid most of the week even though it remains such a numbers game when fluid is continually added through IVs. Last weekend and the first few days of this week, there seemed to be the possibility of another infection brewing. All the cultures came back negative so there was a little uncertainty regarding some of the signs he was displaying. The tube feedings were restarted and it appeared by looking at the contents in the drainage tubes the result of the thoracic duct surgery was still in question. The contents still look suspect but the feedings continue and there does not seem to be concern. In the bottom part of his chest incision an area opened up earlier this week, leaving a hole that was sucking in air. According to the report I got, the plastic surgeon would take Ken to the O.R. this next week and close it up. This morning the area became larger and it was uncertain if he would go to surgery sooner. The surgeon instead placed a wound vac with the hope fluid will be suctioned out and the area will be allowed to heal from the inside out. Upon arriving at the hospital yesterday his nurse informed me, outside of Ken's room, the latest chest x-ray showed he had a collapsed lung. It did cause some difficulty the first time they put him on the trach collar but he has been able to tolerate a few short periods of time since.

There have been times this week I asked God how much longer. I walked out of Ken's room and saw, in the bed next door, a man who has been there since November. I also felt sorry for myself this week, wondering how many more things could go wrong. Mr. Burroughs came to my mind and the realization hit - I still have the opportunity to return to Tennessee with Ken and celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary. Looks like God provided that ferris-wheel ride, because He loves me, so I could get a better perspective on things.
I was reminded by a friend tonight that we do not always need a list to pray from because God knows what is needed already. Then I read, "But if we look forward to something we don't yet have, we must wait patiently and confidently. And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don't know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words. And the Father who knows all hearts knows what the Spirit is saying, for the Spirit pleads for us believers in harmony with God's own will. And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." Romans 8:25-28

Thank you for faithfully continuing to pray and support us. I pray you have a blessed Sunday with your loved ones.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bert - You are my inspiration - you know and believe and keep your perspective! I am so excited that the Ferris Wheel is here - no more roller coasters....and shoot for the 32nd anniversary! How fun! We will start working on the slide to bring you all home! Take care my friends and remain strong....the road is long, even seemingly endless but,,,,In God's Time...In God's Time....Love, Amy Call Center and Records CFCU

Anonymous said...

Bert, thank you so much for theupdate, we started to get worried, we are all hoping that the two of you will be here soon, it is not the same without you. Our love and prayers continue to be with you both take care and give Ken a big hug for me...Love ya both, Carmen and gerhard

Anonymous said...

Roberta,
We were also wondering about you guys but were praying that no news was being translated into good news. You have been in our prayers and we pray each time God brings you to mind. Both the Ferris Wheel and Roller Coaster tend to make me sick so I understand your wanting to get off them. I personally enjoy a slow moving swing set for two!! We'll keep praying and trusting God to work things out for your good in His time. Love Jim and Margaret Wolf