Thursday, April 10, 2008

A QUICK REPORT AND PRAYER REQUEST

Monday and Tuesday of this week were very positive for physical progress. Although Ken was still on the ventilator, we communicated quite well and talked about going home and all the different things we wanted to do. He was ready to look at pictures of Jack, and so we did that and shared them with the nurse as well. He even made a little joke and had that mischievous look in his eyes a couple of times. Tuesday afternoon they were able to put in the new line for the dialysis without any problem. When he woke up on Tuesday morning that was the last time he has slept. Yesterday morning the nurse called me at home to let me know he had not slept all night and had a lot of anxiety. When I got here he was wide awake with no intention of going to sleep. What he was saying did not make any sense. He didn't think he was breathing very well so respitory therapy checked out and cleaned up the trach. He is coughing up a lot of stuff from his lungs and they suctioned him out several different ways.

The day went down hill fast from that point. He was exhausted, you could tell, and he even said so but any closing of the eyelids was not going to happen. As the afternoon went on his behaviour got stranger. His nurse had been reporting his behavior to the staff all day. It finally got to the point he did not even know who I was. The next thing I knew they were running off to get a CT scan of his head. I stayed in the room waiting since they were not going to be gone very long. The next thing I knew there was a call over the intercom for help and then his bed came rolling in with someone at every possible sight next to it. There were a couple of nurses who took me down the hall to a waiting area. It was not long before I was able to go back in. While transporting him back from the CT his pulse was not detected and he was not responding at first. Once they had him back on the monitors in the room everything showed ok but he was still not responding, just staring at the ceiling. I was about to go back to the apartment when I said one last thing to him and he suddenly turned is head to me and communicated.

I have been here at the hospital all night trying to get him to go to sleep. There was a neurological doctor who came around last night and then again this morning. They are going to run a brain wave test to see if there is any sign of seizures. The CT scan showed no definite sign of a stroke.

All of his numbers as far as blood pressure and oxygen are good and they are able to remove some fluid from his body. Please pray that all of that will remain good and that the test on the brain waves will be clear and accurate. Also that those heavy eyelids will close and he will get some much needed sleep.

I think right now I will try to get some sleep myself. I will update later with the latest results.

Thank you for holding us up today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Bert...I do so hope that it isn't serious but I hate to say one thing....Wes's stroke did NOT show up on the initial cat scan - it showed up on the MRI later... I hope everything is okay - I do not mean to say anything bad in answer to this blog, but I feel the need to speak up for you this time... Please, please watch very carefully for changes...you know Ken better than anyone...point out anything different or out of the ordinary. Take care of you and please be good. Keep calm and know that the Lord is still in charge.....I miss you and wish I could be there now....Much love, Amy Call Center and Records CFCU

Anonymous said...

Bert....Sorry I haven't gotten back with you lately....I feel so-o
bad for all of your "ups & downs"..
however, you're one of the strongest women I've ever known!!..
emotionally & spiritually!! I do
believe that God eqipped you early
for just this situation! I'm so glad that He sees all of our "situations" in advance and
that His strong arms are always there to hold us up!!!...Please
know that a lot of folks are still
in prayer constantly for you both!
My niece, Angie (in Louisiana),
reads your blogs & also keeps her
church & prayer group updated on
Ken (it was a treat for them to
see his photo!!)...however, not so
for me! HA-HA!!!!!! We love & miss
you dearly!!...Love u both..Mary
Stinson

reliv4life said...

Hi. I am a friend of Joyce, Barbara Jones (used to be Cooper) daughter. I am in Montana, and do not know you, but want you to know we are praying for you guys. I was sick for a number of years and know it can be so hard on the ill one as well as the family. God will sustain you all, Michele