February 21, 2007, a date of celebration for our household. Ken saw the doctor in the morning and the two of them made a bet. She is pregnant and due in several weeks and of course as we all know Ken is waiting for a heart. The bet was on which would come first the baby or the heart. When he got the call the first words she said was, "You Lost The Bet". That was certainly a bet worth losing. Ken called me back in Franklin to tell me to grab my bag and come on. Of course I was not at home, I was out running an errand, which meant I had even less time to physically get my things. I had people trying to get me on the last flight out of Nashville and a neighbor waiting anxiously to drive me to the airport. Wouldn't you know it - no available seats on that flight. That was the answer on the phone continuously; however, I was told to come on and perhaps I could fly standby. Ken was calling family and friends from the hospital as I was from the car.
At the airport: My neighbor asked me if she should stay and see if I got on the flight but I sent her on home, I was going to be on that flight! An employee with her window closed sign up said "Can I help you" - I told her I knew there was a flight at 9:40 for Baltimore and the reason I had to be on it. Without hesitation she said "I have a seat for you". THANK YOU GOD! It's a good thing I had been doing all that walking in Baltimore -I was primed for the longest walk in the airport -next to the last gate in that terminal. Once at the gate I sat down, still making calls to Ken and others. I was talking to my mother telling her I had my ticket and that God is so Good and had once again taken care of the details when I noticed the lady next to me seemed to be listening. When I hung up she introduced herself as a Methodist minister - she had heard "Baltimore, hospital and God is so Good" and asked if she could pray. Once again God providing what I needed - a calmness for the flight. Once on the plane I told Ken I would see him later - the Tin Man with his new heart. Ken was still making calls from the hospital up until they came to take him away. He had called a friend in Texas and woke her up and the conversation was The call came - oh here they are to take me - bye. (Sing along if you know it - "They're coming to take me away ha ha hee heeeeeee)
As we had both thought would be the case, they had already taken him to the surgical unit before I could get to the hospital. I spent the night in the waiting room - WHAT A NIGHT THE CALL CAME!
Friday, February 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment