Saturday, February 23, 2008

A "HAIR-PIN CURVE" ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD

After a long night in the waiting room and a long morning in another waiting room I still did not know what was happening until much later in the afternoon. I was getting a little frantic - I knew it was a long surgery but we had gone past that. Finally the surgeon came and explained. The transplant had taken place - BUT- the new heart was not working!!!! That was never a point of interest on "our" road trip. Several people have reminded me that this was no surprise to God and that He is still in control. Ken is on a heart-lung bypass machine at this time with his chest still open and heavily sedated.

The doctor has re-listed Ken on the transplant registry and now we find ourselves in another waiting situation. Waiting for another donor heart or for this one to start functioning like it is suppose to. I told the surgeon at one point that this heart must have come from a very mild mannered person and was in SHOCK after being placed in Ken. Those of you who personally know Ken know what I'm talking about.

Josh flew in from Nashville on Saturday morning (his birthday) and Hannah arrived from Portland, OR that night. It is so good to have their support and hugs. We are keeping each other going -taking turns loving the one who is needing to cry. I cannot tell you how the support of family and friends, so many miles away, has encouraged and helped to calm our spirits. God has blessed all of us with such caring, PRAYING people. Josh and Hannah have such great support teams in their lives. As a mother I can't tell you what an awesome feeling to know your grown children are in a place that they are listening and following God's direction and surrounding themselves with friends who will call and e-mail them. They have shared prayers they received and what an awesome sense of peace they brought.

When we started this journey "to see the wizard about a heart" we knew that just like in the movie, the wizard was powerless. PRAISE GOD, HE IS THE ONE WHO CAN TRULY CHANGE AND HEAL HEARTS!! Thank you ALL for praying.

No comments: