Sunday, April 13, 2008

CLEARING UP SOME DETAILS

WHAT A WEEK!!!!!!!!!! There was some confusion with details in my last entry. I apologize; should have waited until I WAS MORE COHERENT to send it out. I am happy to report that Ken is better right now. At this point in the testing, there is no evidence of a stroke. They have not run the EEG to to check for possible seizures but still plan to do so. They really do not think Ken had one, but they will to this study and then at least have a bench mark for future use. Friday, he was coherent but occasionally made a comment that would indicate his reality was still a little off. Yesterday he was coherent but was very tired, probably due in large part to the removal of fluid, and still from the events of the week.

He was able to get some sleep Thursday, DRUG INDUCED, while they were conducting the procedure to find out if the last surgery had corrected the problem it was meant to. We are still waiting for the results. Ken had so much fluid in his body it took a lot longer for the dye to run its course. He had to be taken back to the lab that night and then again Friday morning, for images of what the dye was finding. The man has been putting some miles on his BED lately.

I keep telling him he cannot say anything about what I pack for a trip anymore. Every time he leaves this room, he travels with his machines and a complete entourage. It is quite a sight to see; putting everything into a portable mode for "traveling". There are so many boxes and monitors placed wherever they can on the end of the bed, and then you have the IV pole as well as the ventilator and at least three people. On Wednesday night, when they could not find a pulse coming back from the CT lab, it was because of the traveling monitor. I am so grateful that was all it was.

Our Sunday school class sent an Easter basket, as you recall, which held a small devotional book, Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. It is written in first person - Jesus talking to you. I have heard all my life, God will not give you more than you can handle. Since February, 22 there has been nothing I could do but wait day to day - sometimes hour to hour - for Ken's healing. We went from knowing what our "time table" and "to do list" for going home consisted of, to NOT A CLUE. You can be sure I provided a road map and calendar clearly marked for God's reference, but He hasn't used them. Friday morning, the daily devotion was entitled, "THIS IS THE DAY THAT I HAVE MADE". I knew and believed that - but what hit me between the eyes was this: "To find Joy in this day, you must live within its boundaries. I knew what I was doing when I divided time into twenty-four-hour segments. I understand human frailty, and I know that you can bear the weight of only one day at a time. Do not worry about tomorrow or get stuck in the past. There is abundant life in My Presence today." I finally realized, God was not giving me more than I could handle for that day - one day!!

After the conversations I had with Hannah and with my friend Cher (who has been here), I realized that when I say something like "Ken is doing so much better today" that our reference point is probably not the same. In the ICU you celebrate every little victory as if it were a Home Run. So today's victory may be Ken was able to raise his hand up off the pillow and that is progress - that is a good day for us. With that being said - Ken had a great day Saturday!!! There was such a difference in the amount of fluid that had come off his body during the night, I could not believe my eyes. That is what we have been waiting for. The fluid has to come off for there to be progress in so many other areas. I can't wait to see him this morning.

This last week started out good - had such a scary middle - and then ended Great! Besides the victory of fluid removal, God sent another angel, one of the pastors from our church. It was so good to look up and see him standing there. A hug from home!! Ken was glad to see him too. John and I walked down to the inner harbor and got a bite to eat and enjoyed the weather while Ken slept a little. When we got back Ken was awake and John read scripture, letting God speak to every part of our body. He told us we would have church this morning - I can't wait. What a blessing - GOD IS SO GOOD!!

The prayer request for now are: 1) Continued removal of excess fluid. 2) Lungs to continue to heal so the ventilator can come back off. 3) Time and the test will continue to show there is no evidence of a stoke or seizure. 4) They will be able to step up Ken's nourishment. 5) That his kidneys will be able to function again. 6) That I will truly take one day at a time with each aspect of my life. 7) That Ken will feel more comfortable without me being in the room so that I can enjoy a visit this week, with a friend coming in from Texas. I truly need the renewal that comes from some "girl friend time".

As always I praise God Almighty From Whom All Blessings Flow, for your continued prayers, cards, calls, e-mails and love offerings. Have a Blessed Sunday.


PS: The untitled entry below was a mistake - probably lack of sleep. I didn't want to delete it since there were comments. I know some people were worried that I didn't finish it, thinking something had happened.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me about the "daily" walk. Sue has been talking about dying daily to be a living sacrifice. Why is the concept of day by day so difficult???
We rejoice with you on the ICU victories!!! Give my love to Kenny.
Love you both so much!!
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

"You can be sure I provided a road map and calendar clearly marked for God's reference, but He hasn't used them. "
I got quite a kick out of that comment. HOW TRUE! I KNOW I did that when it came to planning for Baby Jack and all the events that have followed...and I'm learning the same lessons time and time again. The Lord takes care of us and ALWAYS provides, just not always (or hardly ever,lately)in the way we think. Why can't I just learn this lesson, so that hopefully He can stop teaching it to me again and again!!?!?! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank God!! Great News on the stroke front! Sorry for the bad message on earlier blog - concern not doom,,,,I promise. You always remember that we are walking right along with you as God carries you through this journey. Much love from Call Center and Records. Love, Amy :)