Friday, April 18, 2008

THE HEALING POWER IN SEEING A FRIEND

HAPPY FRIDAY TO YOU!!!!! I can hardly believe it. The occupational therapist was asking Ken if he knew what day it was this morning. He replied "Thursday" (I was cheering inside - he got it right) and then she said it was "Friday" --Ohhhhhhhh, I got it wrong too. Where did that other day go. Visitors coming in the middle of the week must have thrown us off -- that's OK, we'll take the VISITORS ANY DAY!!!!! Larry left last night and it was not easy to see him head off. Sharon has already learned about buying groceries without a car - I wasted no time in putting her legs to work. Go ahead and pray for her since she doesn't leave until Wednesday morning.

Today has been a day of exciting news!! Ken has been on the trach collar since 8:30 this morning. He is getting tired and we are not using the speaking valve since that uses so much oxygen and energy. He was up in the chair for a couple of hours this afternoon and was definitely wanting back in bed - I think in part the chair is not as comfortable. His body is definitely a little bony in places without so much fluid being on board. There was a little bit of a problem with his blood pressure for awhile but it eventually leveled out.

The tube feedings were started back up this morning and the IV nourishment has been stopped. That means less fluid going in and less having to come off later. It looks like all of the chest tubes may be coming out tomorrow which will be great in so many ways. They are hoping that if numbers stay up the dialysis will only have to be done every other day or at least not on a continuous basis.The doctors are all so pleased with his progress today. Smiles all around and I think some were even doing a little dance (inside) - I know I was!!

Ken is tired for sure but his spirits and will power seem a little stronger today. He definitely enjoyed Larry being here. Today he was wanting Sharon to tell him some stories and she said she would and could put him to sleep and she did. Nothing like a visit from a friend!!!!

We just ask you to pray for 1) A restful and calm weekend for Ken. 2) He will continue to get stronger with his breathing. 3) Infections will be a STRANGER to his body. 4) PRAISE - the third biopsy was negative for rejection. 5) Wounds he has will heal quickly. 6) Protection for Sharon and I as we walk the streets - the weather is gorgeous!!

After all these weeks, it is still hard to express just how thankful I am for everything you all do. People ask me if we need anything or what my needs are - NEED only prayer. Everything else you do is icing on the cake. All of the cards, care packages and love offerings bring smiles, laughs, joy and even tears of gratitude. THANK YOU - as always from the bottom of my HEART!!!

3 comments:

reliv4life said...

so glad to hear the great report! I will keep praying,
Michele from Montana

Anonymous said...

Hey girlfriend,
I'm so glad that Larry was able to get up there this week. I must admit I was a little jealous. But it seem to have been the right medicine for both our boys.
Sandy and I went to a production down at TPAC last night. It was entitled "Menopause, the Musical." Wish you could have been with us - I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. You would have loved it!!! A girl's night out is definitely in order once you get home.
We rejoice with you on the progress Ken is making. I can "read" the difference in you writing voice. I know you are seeing some light shining on the yellow brick road that leads you home. We anticipate that wonderful homecoming!! (Guess that would make you the homecoming queen - start practicing your wave)LOL!!!
Love you guys tons!!!!
cheryl

Anonymous said...

Good news all the way around. Enjoy your time with your girlfriend, you so deserve this time with her. Tell Ken Ole Tom says get better and back here, a lot going on in the neighborhood.
Love to all,
Brenda